Pinstriping was the first ever custom paint technique, and it is where all serious custom painters start. Pinstriping is an inscrutable art form that will challenge you to “perfect the moment” and will give you a steadiness of hand-eye coordination that has become almost a lost art. It is a skill that only craftsmen-of-old knew the secrets of. We are reviving the art.
We say “reviving” but it would be more correct to say that we are “systemising” it in ways never done before. We are bringing our 30 years of research know-how and course development to develop a “systematic consciousness” of how it is done. This is very important because although there are many amazing artists out there, but when you ask them how they do it, they cannot tell you. They do not have a systematic understanding of what they do. It is a very common problem with great artists.
We have spent years carefully researching the fundamental structures of traditional pinstriping. It is important to stress that this course teaches “Traditional Pinstriping”. We will teach you all the rules, so that you can then break them to develop your own styles.
Unit 1 & 2 – Introduction to Pinstriping
We will take you far beyond what you think an introductory course will. The feedback from all students, is amazement at how much they learn and the standard they get to in only 20 hours training.
• We teach you to “cheat” by using scroll brushes, not daggers. We teach you on glass and clear vinyl with layouts underneath. We make your first experiences very enjoyable and effective, . . . straight out of the gate.
• Explanation of all brush types
• Explanation of all paint types
• How to set up a striping kit
• How to load a brush
• How to hold the brush
• How to start-pull-end lines
• How to clean and care for brushes
• The fundamental shapes of all designs
• The Pinstriping “Clock System”
• All layouts on vinyl – so you get to keep them
• Duration: 4 weeks x 5 hours (total of 20 hours)
Saturday School – half day format
(9.00am to 2.30pm, 30min break).
• Cost for Unit 1 & 2: $580 ($480 + $100 beginners kit)
This includes a beginners kit:
2 x Kafka Scroll brushes (No.1 and 3)
2 x 125ml Viponds Sign Enamel (Black and Red)
1 x Brush oil (15ml) & Storage Straws
1 x Turpentine (500ml)
20 x Polyethylene lined paper cups
1 x Comprehensive course manual complete with practice designs.
Unit 3 – How to design Pinstriping Layouts
You will enjoy Units 1 & 2 so much that you will want to start taking your pinstriping seriously. There is where Unit 3 comes in. The 72 pages of notes and exercises will teach you how to design your own professional layouts using a systematic structure that generates millions of variations:
• Chorus structures
• Opening / Closing / Middle melodies
• Outside / Inside / Opposing Vertex’s
• Closed & Open Loops
• Bridges & Tapers
• Combining your templates into complex layouts
As part of Unit 3 we will get you pinstriping on a car, bike, guitar . . . whatever you like.
Unit 4 – The 12 skills to get from “Good” to “Great”
Although Unit 3 is a giant and launches you as an independent pinstriper, Unit 4 really completes your training in single colour designs and prepares you to do second colour layouts in Unit 5.
At over 100 pages of notes and exercises, you will be amazed at how much there is still to learn after the fundamental structures of Unit 3.
1. Using Double Arc’s in:
• Opening melodies
• Closing melodies
• Middle melodies
• Vertical & Horizontal Bridges
• Linking modules for extended layouts
2. The “risks” of Bridges and Tapers
3. Creating “tight parallels”
4. Adjusting the “internal spaces” in layouts
5. Adding “tapers”
7. Creating asymmetrical layouts for door handles, B / C pillars, tailgates, etc
8. Creating wide layouts:
• Grand openings
• Grand closings
9. Planning the overall silhouette of a layout
10. How to “set the beat” of a layout and maintain it
11. The different ways of ending lines
12. Using automotive components as the chorus
Units 5 – Doing 2 Colours Layouts
• Once again our extensive research has enabled us to systemise the process of designing layouts so that your layouts will look professional – not “choked” and “confusing”.
• Using a second colour with
• Second colour melodies
• You will amazed at how much there is to colour theory. We go into extensive detail about every aspect of formal colour theory, looking at:
• Hues / Tints / Shades / Tones
• Analogous and complimentary colour theory
• Setting the contrast of your colours
Applying all this to different coloured cars, bikes, etc
Summary of the 5 Unit Course Term Fees
8 x 2.5 hours = 20 Hour Course (1 Term) . . . $480
1 Term completes Unit 1 & 2
1 Term completes Unit 3
1 Term completes Unit 4
1 Term completes Unit 5
The 5 units complete ALL the basics of traditional pinstriping.
We will have you commercially pinstriping within one year!